Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My English Language Learning Journey




I came from a Chinese based primary school and a Malay based secondary school in Malaysia. As a result, the chance for me to speak and write English was very limited. In fact, majority of my school time I used Chinese to communicate with my friends and used Malay to communicate with friends of other races. Unlike Singapore, the first language in Malaysia is Malay language. Thus, it is normal for us to use Malay language to communicate with people of other races. Along with these facts, my English language did not improve. In fact, most of my English writings were directly translated from Chinese.

Four years ago, when I first time came to Singapore for my tertiary education, Ngee Ann Poly, I did very badly in an English module in the first semester. After that, I made myself to speak English with my friends, but it turned up I spoke a lot of “Singlish” instead of proper English. Before I got into NUS, I made use of the breaks to go online to search for some grammar study materials like “The Blue Book” (as one of my friend recommend for me) to prepare myself for the QET test. But at the end I still did very badly in the QET test and required to take ES1000 last semester and ES1102 this semester.

After enrolled into NUS, I got more chances to speak English and I hope to improve my communication skill. Moreover, I believe after taking this ES1102 module, I can improve on my writing skill, as Mr. Brad really catches my attention in the first tutorial class and I will look forward for the next 12 weeks’ classes!
(280 words)

Edited on 3rd of Feb 2014

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Keng Hwa, for this heart-felt effort. I appreciate your willingness to be so open about your attitude and experience toward English in the past. The way you detail your experience here in Singapore is also impressive. I sincerely hope that our work in ES1102 can impact your writing skills. Let's start by having a look at this in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keng Hwa, we have somewhat similar circumstances! I was also from a Chinese school and thus didn't have much opportunities to converse in English. Lets work hard together and improve our English by the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Keng Hwa,

    It is good to know the difficulties you're facing, I guess some of us have the same experience.

    Just to take note, in the last sentence of your first paragraph, I think you could use "were directly translated" instead of "are directly translated".

    Also in the 2nd paragraph, it should be "to go online" instead of "to went online". In the last sentence you could have used "and was required" rather than "and required".

    As Brad mentioned, we should take note of the consistency in our grammar.

    Let's work hard together and we will do just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    It's great that you're trying very hard to improve your English. Here are my points about the post:

    "As a result, the chance for me to speak and write English is very limited."
    It should be "...the chance for me to speak and write English was very limited."
    This is because you are referring to your past education in Malaysia.

    "In fact, majority of my school time I was using Chinese to communicate with my friends and the remaining time mostly used Malay language communicate with friend of other races."
    It could be changed to "...I used Chinese to communicate with my friends and used Malay to communicate with friends of other races"
    Since the sentence is set in past tense, you should use "used" instead of "was using". Majority is the same as mostly therefore these two words need not be used twice.


    ReplyDelete